What is Torch Strategic Missions Scholarship?
From its inception, the founders of Torch Trinity Graduate University envisioned a theological graduate school that would contribute significantly to the world Christian movement by training leaders from the majority world where the Gospel has least penetrated and where quality theological education is least accessible.
With this vision, local Korean churches and Torch Trinity Graduate University joined hands to offer the Torch Strategic Mission Scholarship (TSMS) to a limited number of qualified applicants, especially from unreached people groups. The scholarship has been awarded to over 130 students as of February 2014. TSMS is a distinguished scholarship given to Christian ministers, who possess outstanding academic and ministry potential, from missionally noteworthy regions. The scholarship includes full tuition and room and board for the duration of a recipient’s degree program. For the recipients in the Master of Divinity program, the scholarship extends for three consecutive years. For the Master of Arts and Master of Theology recipients, the scholarship extends for two consecutive years.
Basic qualifications for the application to the TSMS are as follows:
A. The applicant must meet all the qualifications for admissions for any master's degree program at
B. The applicant must be a native of a strategic mission country with a vision to plant/build the church
there or another place of equal strategic value.
C. The applicant must demonstrate financial needs beyond the support of the applicant, family, or other
D. The applicant must apply from a missionally strategic country.
|Program||Concentration||Duration of Study|
|Master of Divinity (MDiv)
|Master of Arts (MA)||Christian Education
|Master of Theology (ThM)||Old Testament
Mission / Intercultural Studies
Interdisciplinary Theological Studies
*Currently, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) applicants are NOT eligible for TSMS. These applicants must apply under other scholarships for international students.
- If you have questions, please contact the Admissions Officer. Do not ask alumni because guidelines change yearly.
- A. Qualifications – Applicants must have the following qualifications
1. A confessing and mature believer (who has the assurance of salvation) with two letters of
recommendation from a pastor, professor, or church leader/employer
2. A native of a strategic mission country or region (majority world, developing country,
Muslim region, etc.) with a vision to plant/build the church of that country or another country of
equal strategic value upon graduation. (Internationals residing in Korea cannot apply.)
3. A bachelor's degree or its equivalent by an accredited institution recognized by Torch Trinity
4. For a ThM applicant, an MDiv or its equivalent.
5. A TOEFL/IELTS score that meets Korean government standards. In case of severe difficulty
in accessing the exams, the applicant is advised to contact the Admissions Officer.
- B. Disqualifications – Any of the following points disqualifies an applicant
1. currently resides in Korea
2. is married to a Korean (of Korean descent)
3. has family in Korea
4. has a spouse living in Korea (now or during enrollment)
- C. Due to limited housing, Torch Trinity does not offer scholarships to couples. We cannot house couples and families.
|March 10-May 10,
|May 30, 2014||Email Notification|
|Application||June 1-July 31, 2014||Mail Application Form with Required Documents|
|August 20, 2014||Email Notification|
|Interview||August 25-30, 2014||Phone or Skype Interview|
|Final Result||September 5, 2014||Email Notification|
- A. Applicants for TSMS must submit the ONLINE PRE-APPLICATION prior to the actual application for admission. Online pre-application provides the preliminary documentation necessary to demonstrate that a prospective international student has the proper educational qualification and ministry experiences as well as ministry plan after his/her study at Torch Trinity. Only those who passed the pre-application evaluation are eligible to submit the application form and other required documents for TSMS admissions.
- B. If you have difficulty filling out the online forms, contact to the TSMS admissions officer by post or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Period: March 10 to May 10, 2014
2. Online Pre-application input on www.ttgu.ac.kr ->
"TSMS Admissions Pre-application" banner
3. Pre-Application Input List (complete all three below)
a. Personal Information
b. Personal Statement (spiritual and academic backgrounds)
c. Transcript in English (upload scanned files)
- A. Those who passed the pre-application evaluation need to submit the application form and required documents to the Admissions Office by the application due date by POST only. Forms are available on the school's website. If you have difficulty accessing the website, please ask the Admissions Officer to send it to you by email or by post.
- B. Dates
1. Period:June 1 - July 31, 2014
2. Application packaged should be sent by post until July 31, 2014.
- C.Forms Download
1. Click "Admissions Forms" on www.ttgu.ac.kr > Admissions > Admissions Forms
2. If you have difficulty accessing the website, please ask the admissions officer to send it to you by email or by post: email@example.com. TSMS Admissions Pre-application" banner
- D. Required Documents (documents listed below are all required—no exceptions)
1. TSMS Application (use provided form)
2. Personal Statement (use provided form)
3. Two Recommendation Letters (use provided form)
b. Professor or Church Leader/Employer
4. Certificate of Graduation
a. Original or Attested Documents by the Korean Embassy
b. Each applicant must submit certificates from colleges, universities, and/or seminaries previously attended. In unusual circumstances, a copy of a diploma may be used as a substitute. However, the school does not accept a transcript that bears the name of the degree as a replacement of
5. Official Transcript
a. Original or Attested Documents by the Korean Embassy
b. The applicant should submit official transcripts from all colleges, universities, and/or seminaries
previously attended. Foreign transcripts, including records of all courses, examinations, grades,
grading scales, and conferrals of degrees, must be in English.
6. Original TOEFL Score or IELT substitute or TTGU Alternative
a. Taken within the Past Two Years with the following minimum scores: Required Score:
TOEFL CBT 210, iBT 80, IELTS 5.5
b. Alternatives can be given upon written request. Please write to the TSMS Admissions Officer.
7. Passport-Size Photos (3)
8. Scholarship Application (use provided form)
9. Medical Reports (use provided form)
- E. Applications Submission
1. Mailing Address
- TSMS Admissions Office
Torch Trinity Graduate University
55 Yangjae-Dong, Seocho-Gu, Seoul, Korea 137-889
- F. Any incomplete document or missing information cannot be considered for evaluation. Once you submit your application package, documents therein cannot be changed or returned.
- A. After the paper screening process, the evaluation committee will have a phone or Skype (online video)
interview with the selected applicants.
- B. Dates
1. Interview Period: August 25 to 30, 2014
2. Between 9:00 am to 6:00 pm (Korea Standard Time)
- A. Admissions Package
1. Applicants who are admitted will get the admissions package which includes Notice of Intention,
Financial Statement, and TSMS Covenant.
2. Once they received the admissions package, they should sign each documents and then return
them to the Admissions Office.
- B. Deposit of Medical Insurance Fee
1. After sending the admissions package, applicants are to transfer a deposit of the first three
months of National Health Insurance (roughly US$150) to a designated school account.
2. Visa - Upon receiving the health insurance deposit, the school will send necessary documents to
recipients for their student visa applications.
- TSMS covers tuition, room and board. Individual students are responsible for all other expenses during their studies at Torch Trinity including books, public transportation, and all their personal effects.
- All TSMS recipients (including partial scholarship recipients) are required to stay in the dorm while they study in their degree programs. The Admissions Office will handle this part of their scholarship.
- As you can imagine, life away from home for several years will certainly include excitement and adventure, but sometimes even loneliness and discouragement, especially from adapting to the rigors of academic discipline and unfamiliar cultural aspects. Torch Trinity expects that each TSMS student will not only acknowledge these realities, but also to have the basic physical, psychological, and spiritual wellbeing to successfully finish their study and training. Applicants are responsible to perform basic research on what life in Korea would be like including weather, food, and culture.
If you have concerns, especially if they are not obvious from your application, please contact the Admissions Officer during the application stage.
- Uploaded March. 10, 2014